- Codemakers is an established, award-winning digital consultancy that provides bespoke web and mobile apps and APIs for leading brands across multiple sectors. We are a team of strategic thinkers, inquisitive in nature with an optimistic and determined outlook who solve real-world business challenges with solid, highly functional digital solutions that delight users.
In addition to providing contract consultancy and development services, we also manage our own Software-as-a-Service products: Shipmate, which aims to simplify shipping for growing merchants and Metrotech, which provides smart software for the light rail industry. Our products and services are trusted by famous brands and used by thousands of people every day.
We are looking for at least one PHP Developer to join our existing development team. The role would suit recent graduates of Computing Science or similar Software Engineering and Computer Games Programming degrees, with one or two roles under your belt proving you are able to apply your skills in a commercial context.
Perhaps you are looking for more challenging work, a greater variety of technologies to use, or want to hone your craft in code optimisation and getting the most out of PHP and Laravel - we are open to shaping the role to fit your career aims, as we build on our talented, multidisciplinary team.
This role is open to candidates located in the United Kingdom and is a hybrid role, operating from our office in Derby city centre.
- What you will do at Codemakers:
- Work alongside our existing development team in developing and maintaining a wide variety of web, mobile and API projects both for our own products and for external clients
- Produce clean, well-documented code, applying industry recognised design patterns and testing where applicable, across a number of contemporary programming languages and frameworks, focusing on backend technologies
- Manage your project contributions using team development tools and source code repositories
- Solve technical problems of varying complexity and have the opportunity to lead development of features and small projects, as your responsibilities grow within the team
The role includes a wide range of opportunities to grow your skills, learn new programming languages and frameworks and specialise in the fields that suit you best.
“On the job training” in all aspects of the role will be provided and as you grow into your role, you will be given increasing responsibilities including customer support and project management.
The tech you will be working with:
- Backend: PHP (Laravel)
- Infrastructure: AWS, Chef, Codedeploy, Vagrant, Docker
- Data: MySQL, Redis
- Project Management: Atlassian suite: Jira, Git on Bitbucket, Bitbucket Pipelines, Confluence
- Occasionally used: Ruby-on-Rails, C#, Swift, Python
- Mobile: Flutter, Kotlin (this role is specifically for web development however if you have experience with mobile app development, or wish to do this, we are keen to speak with you)
We don’t expect you to have worked with all of the development languages and tools we use, however this gives you an indication of the context within which you will be working, and you will have the opportunity to develop skills in the above technologies and languages as part of the role.
What you will bring to Codemakers:
- Demonstrable experience producing technical solutions that solve real-world problems using PHP and Laravel
- A positive attitude, being eager to make an impact on projects, further your skills and apply them in a commercial context
- A collaborative, team mindset with excellent communication skills
- Desire to apply your skills in a way that helps others
- Desire to own your work, delivering features from start to finish
What’s the working environment like?
We operate from an office in Derby city centre, on a hybrid basis. We have daily team stand-ups by video conference and a wealth of remote working applications and tools to support hybrid on-site and remote working.
Initially you will be required to attend the office regularly for on-site training and role familiarisation, with this requirement reducing over your probationary period to occasional office working, according to your preference and project needs. You will therefore need to be within a commutable distance to Derby city centre.
The Derby office is based at Friar Gate Studios, a modern working environment on the outskirts of the popular and upmarket Cathedral Quarter. There is an on-site café and you are only a few minutes’ walk from the centre of town for lunch and after-work activities.
We offer a relaxed working environment with all the equipment you need to carry out your role, alongside endless free tea and coffee.
What does my employment package include?
- A starting salary of £34,000 – £40,000, depending on experience, reviewed after 6 months
- Flexible working hours
- Hybrid office and home working
- Bupa medical insurance
- 23 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Time to develop your skills and an annual training allowance
Sounds great! How do I apply?
Please submit your CV along with a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote vacancy reference C3BE1 with your application.
You must be a permanent resident of the United Kingdom to apply for this role.
The Application Process
Your application will first be considered by our senior management team, who will invite you to complete a short coding challenge ahead of a video interview if your application passes our initial criteria.
Upon successful completion of your video interview, we may invite you to a second technical interview with key colleagues you will be working with, to determine where best you will fit in our team.
Codemakers is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age or any other illegal or unfair basis.
Important: Recruitment Agencies
We do not use recruitment agencies. All unsolicited communications from recruitment agencies, job board aggregators or outsourcing companies will be ignored and calls disconnected.